Monday, April 12, 2010

Hidden Treasures

It was February when we closed on our house, we moved in between snow storms and the ground was covered with snow. One of our first official tasks as homeowners was shoveling the driveway and sidewalk. As the snow melted and the temperature began to creep up we started to see signs of life that had previously been tucked away, hidden under the earth. Some of the first flowers to bloom were at the front of the house, we have white, yellow and purple crocus and some other small white flowers (if you know what they are, please let me know!)
A short time later a few patches of daffodils popped up, also at the front of the house.
And in the backyard these tulips are just starting to open
I believe this is a rhododendron, we have one at the front and one in the back of the house. I love the intensity of the color of the flowers.
There are other patches where we may eventually have blooms, but for now they seem to be content to leaf out without revealing any buds. I am hopeful that some might grow to be daylilies, but if not I plan to harvest some bulbs from my mom's yard this fall. There are 4 or 5 rose bushes in the backyard and while I have no previous experience with roses I am anxious to learn how to care for them.
I am really having fun getting to know our outdoor spaces, it will be a 4-season process and I will probably sit back this year while I am introduced to all of the hidden treasures. I would like to put in a vegetable garden and perhaps plan a few other projects but, as much as possible, I want to respect the plants that are already thriving in our midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment