Monday, October 1, 2012

A Parade of Elephants

For my birthday I asked Brett's mom, Cheryl, if she would help me redecorate the girls' rooms. She accepted the challenge and I shared with her the ideas floating around in my head. M's room is pretty big so we have a twin bed in there in addition to her crib and wanted to coordinate the bedding. M's animal is an elephant so I knew I wanted to incorporate elephants into the design. Playing off of a grey elephant, I thought back to some pictures I had seen of a beautiful wedding done in yellow, white & grey. We brought in some teal accents to add a pop of color.

Brett's parents were kind enough to paint while the girls were at school and Brett & I were at work during the week. We came home one afternoon and the painting was all done! 3 walls in grey and the fourth in a bright and friendly yellow.



Cheryl found a lot of our pieces on etsy - the bedding was a custom request, the throw pillows coordinated perfectly from another etsy vendor and the puppet adds a cute touch of whimsy to the bed post.



I found an awesome vendor on etsy who does painted wooden letters and we ordered a teal 'M' to go on the wall above M's crib. One of the last details I need to take care of will be to find pictures of my maternal grandmother and her mother to place on either side of the 'M' since M is named after them.



The tall dresser is flanked on one side by a floor lamp (Pier 1) with a shade (Shades of Light) that matches the duvet cover on the twin bed, and on the other side by a wall decal of two little elephants (etsy) - I like to think of the elephants as a big sister and a little sister.



This little guy sits on top of the dresser, I'm not sure where Cheryl found him but he's an adorable, personalized Ellie bank!



The adorable little elephant bookends were another etsy find.



Cheryl found this trumpeting elephant print (etsy) and had it matted and framed locally.



There is an odd little corner in M's room that we found all sorts of creative uses for! Cheryl found this cute chair from Urban Outfitters in a yellow chevron that compliments the lamp on top of the Dresser and matches the skirt to the crib. We found a growth chart decal (etsy) and I repurposed a pair of flower wall hangers (Pier 1) as a convenient place to drop sweaters or jackets. The finishing touch in this corner is a trio of pictures taken by Brett's sister while we were all together on a family vacation.



M's room is now one of my favorite places in the house and I am so grateful for all of the help from Cheryl in pulling it all together!

No comments:

Post a Comment