Friday, October 12, 2012

The Rooster's Roost

After we finished up M's room, we turned our attention to C's room. C's room was a little bit trickier for a couple of reasons: I knew I wanted to incorporate roosters (each of the girls has a animal nickname, C's is rooster) and I already had a couple of pieces that I wanted to incorporate into the redesigned room, but I didn't have a clear picture in mind for the color scheme or any of the patterns. For awhile I kept going back to a comforter that GG had made for C's toddler bed, but the big picture just wasn't coming together...luckily C decided that week that her favorite color was purple so we used that as a jumping off point and started exploring.

We settled on a shade of 'grape' and a shade of 'lavender' paired with chocolate brown & oatmeal and added in a few red accents. The room was originally a pale yellow, so we knew the walls would change. Brett's parents very sweetly painted the base colors on all of the walls: a creamy tan (oatmeal) for 3 and lavender for the 4th.

Since her room is on the small side, I knew I wanted to do a horizontal stripe on one of the long walls to provide a visual extension. I used the lavender accent wall and added a grape stripe. I am thrilled with the result!



Brett's mom mixed and matched the bedding from Pottery Barn Kids and The Company Store. All stuffies on the bed were preexisting favorites (Brutus from my mom, Sam sock monkey from a friend of mine and Foofa from Memaw)



C shares the initial of her first name with both of her grandmothers and I definitely wanted to incorporate a 'C' somewhere in the design. This awesome painted wooden letter is from etsy. One of the final finishing touches will be to add framed photographs of my mom & Brett's mom to flank the 'C'



Brett's parents very generously passed along this family rocker when C was born. The existing fabrics didn't work with the new concept so Cheryl & I took a trip to a local fabric store where we found a purple ticking and had the rocker reupholstered!



We added this lamp from Brett's parents' house where it was not being used...I I like it a lot, but we may replace it. The framed photos on the wall are ones that Brett's sister took while we were on a family vacation. The rooster figurine is from etsy. The framed pic of my mom will be reframed and relocated to the 'C' wall. The snow globe was a birthday gift to C from my mom and has pictures of our family inside along with a personally recorded message.



Above the chest of drawers we hung a French memo board (etsy) and a shelf from a local consignment shop. Cheryl found the rooster bookends (etsy) and a purple rooster decal (etsy) that I perched above C's door.



C has already found a couple of things to pin to her board!



The rooster & chicken bookends.



Cheryl found this rooster print and had it matted & framed locally. The red flower hooks were something I picked up from Pier 1 last year.



I absolutely love how it all came together and am so grateful for all of Cheryl's help researching and hunting for the perfect pieces. C is very happy with the room and all of her roosters...although her favorite color has changed approximately 12 times since the redecoration! Typical kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment